Saturday, June 9, 2012

Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt

I'm a certified frozen dessert connoisseur, so I adore ice cream, frozen custard, slush, frozen yogurt, italian ice, popsicles... you name it. I can only recall having a bad ice cream experience once, unless you count eating flavors of Ben & Jerry's that I didn't quite like (but I don't count it since my complaint was usually the flavor was just too sweet, otherwise I probably would have liked it).
I had heard a while ago that an Orange Leaf was opening up in Salem. I had to look up what it was, but when I found out they served frozen yogurt, and all the different kinds / toppings they had, I was really excited. Usually the only time I get frozen yogurt is when I venture into Boston, to Pinkberry, and that's a rare occurrence.

lychee, raspberry, and peach frozen yogurt with raspberries,
slivered almonds, mango boba, and strawberry boba.
Today, while running errands, my boyfriend and I spotted it and noticed they were open, so of course, we had to go inside. The amount of flavors they had was almost overwhelming, but in a good way. It was just hard to decide. Since I get anxious frequently, especially in social situations, I really like that you get to go pick out everything yourself and then they just weigh it to determine how expensive it is. I hate having to talk to people and give them my order, especially if I'm taking a long time to decide, because then I feel rude and rushed, but maybe that's just me.

I'm usually not one to comment on the decor / atmosphere of a restaurant either, but everything was bright orange and green (two of my favorite colors), and the tables and chairs were oddly shaped. The bar stools looked like plastic orange steering wheels. Everything just looked really cool, clean, and spacious. I'm also ridiculous and really liked their spoons so I saved them and they are in my sink, waiting to be washed off.

The flavors of the frozen yogurt were really strong, not in an overpowering way, but in a good way. I think out of the three I tasted, the lychee was my favorite. The boba is unlike the tapioca pearls you get in bubble (aka boba) tea, which is what I was expecting. Instead, they're little balls that pop and gush out flavor when you bite into them. All in all, really delicious. Unfortunately, as per usual, my eyes were larger than my stomach and I ate only about 1/3 of my portion. Thankfully my boyfriend finishes everything I don't eat.

So, while Pinkberry is still number one on my list of favorite froyo places (probably just for the mochi, and it says on Orange Leaf's website that they have that as well, so I'm guessing the toppings and flavors just change frequently), I am definitely going back. I have to try the wedding cake flavored frozen yogurt, after all.

2 comments:

  1. usefull information......i am impressed....very good blog..

    frozen yogurt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frozen yogurt is usually a time consuming process involving an ice cream machine. This recipe will let you make it at home in your blender.

    ReplyDelete