Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Eggless Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies

People sometimes ask me if I'm a vegetarian or if I'm allergic to certain things because I've made quite a few eggless / gluten-free / dairy-free desserts. I don't have any food allergies and while I don't eat meat frequently, I'm not a vegetarian (and I don't have any problems with those who are). I always find it funny when people think this because the case usually is I was just out of certain items usually needed to bake but was determined to make something anyway. I also just really like trying new recipes and seeing what substitutes can work and still taste good.

Tonight, we had no eggs. The reason I wanted cookies so badly was for a ridiculous reason: Spongebob. Spongebob was on and he was eating a cookie and I instantly needed to make some. It's silly, but it's the truth. I wanted to make cookies so badly I looked up an eggless recipe and adjusted it accordingly. This is also the first baked good I've made a) with my replacement wire whip for my KitchenAid, and b) in the oven in my new apartment. So I was taking quite the risk.

It should be noted that the batter for these cookies is much lighter than normal dough because of the lack of egg, and it also has a slightly floury aftertaste that goes away with baking. If you bake the cookies too long, they crumble very easily (and don't taste very good) because of the flour to liquid ratio. The bottoms of my cookies got brown rather fast, but the tops barely browned at all, so don't worry about the bottoms burning and the rest not being cooked through. About 8-10 minutes and they should be perfect. They aren't crunchy and they aren't chewy, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They're light and soft and melt in your mouth.

Eggless Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from recipe4living )

  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1-1 1/2 cups dark (or semisweet, etc) chocolate chips 


Preheat oven to 375°F.
Beat butter and other wet ingredients until butter appears creamy. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Add in chocolate chips.
Bake for about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment