Monday, September 10, 2012

Why Diner Food Is The Greatest and A Review of The Red Arrow

Dinah's 2x2x2: two slices of french toast with strawberries and whipped cream, 2 eggs over easy, and two sausage links smothered in maple syrup @ Red Arrow Diner
Every time my family used to go on road trips, it was mostly about the food, hence why I was a very chubby child. My dad would look online and at guide books for days prior to our trips in order to plan the routes mostly around diners and barbecue joints. I grew up eating a lot of diner food, and consider diners to be one of the greatest things left over from America's past. The employees of diners always have this certain joyful, playful mood about them and seem to genuinely care about their customers, whether they're regulars or first-timers. The atmosphere of diners is something I wish more restaurants had, but I think it's something specific to diners only. I'm just incredibly comfortable when I'm eating at one, and completely in my element. Though diners are becoming a rare occurrence nowadays, which is slightly depressing, every time I find one (and a good one at that), I'm overjoyed.
The very first time I went to the Red Arrow, I was maybe 12 or 13. My dad took us up to Manchester from our then home in Massachusetts, for the sole purpose of having diner food. It was pouring rain and just generally icky out, but the diner was still crowded and we waited a good ten or more minutes to get three seats at the counter. Then again, I should probably mention the place is famous and has a long list of celebrities who have eaten there, not to mention they've won more awards than I can probably count. It's not constantly crowded, that's reserved mostly for weekends, and the longest you have to wait is usually a couple minutes. It's totally worth it anyway.

I know I should be more adventurous and I usually am at most restaurants, but at diners, I tend to get breakfast. 99% of the time, I will get breakfast. I have always been this way and do not see me changing my habits any time soon. Anywhere that has breakfast all-day, 24/7 is amazing in my book. I believe the first time I went to Red Arrow, I got Dinah's 2x2x2 (pictured above) or at least something similar.
Now that I'm living in Manchester, I was absolutely thrilled when I realized the Red Arrow was about a ten minute walk from my apartment. Guess what I got? Breakfast. Dinah's 2x2x2 in fact, and it was just as delicious as I had remembered.  So far, everything I've ever ordered from the Red Arrow has not disappointed. Remember to get some homemade pie!

The Red Arrow Diner is located at:
61 Lowell St
Manchester, NH 03101
They also have another location at:
63 Union Square
Milford, New Hampshire 03055
You can visit their website at http://www.redarrowdiner.com/ to view menus and even order pie / cake online.

No comments:

Post a Comment